We create opportunities for churches to do ministry outside the four walls, by promoting "Connect Groups". A Connect Group is an opportunity for followers of Christ to share their faith with unchurched community members in a non-confrontational, relational way. We launch connect groups through conversations with the community, like the YMCA, Housing Commission Centers, senior and retirement homes and local businesses.
Connect Groups utilize various strategies. They range from the "Alpha Course" videos, to LIfe Recovery Bible Studies, to "The Chosen" Video series.
Alpha is used worldwide and has been translated into 112 different languages. It is an evangelistic course which seeks to introduce the basics of the Christian faith through a series of talks and discussions. It is often promoted to potential participants as "an opportunity to explore the meaning of life.” It has been used in churches, homes, workplaces, prisons, universities and a wide variety of other locations. There are 15 sessions in the course and has both adult and youth versions available.
The Life Recovery Bible Study is a resource that uses the 12-step AA and NA philosophy to communicate the gospel to those in recovery. The beauty of this resource is how it takes those in recovery deeper into the Biblical truths that apply to their everyday life. To be honest this approach is transforming in so many ways. We now have many groups meeting using this resource. Most are in our community, but several groups are even in our detention center at the St. Clair jail.
As you will see below, these connect groups are housed in the community, in restaurants, businesses, as well as our jail.
As of 2023 well over 20 groups are multiplying quicker than we can keep up with them. Some of these groups have been launched with the help of OT, but many are now multiplying on their own. The best part is that all these teams are coming from local churches. God is moving strong and fast in this area of ministry. Contact Randy Bennett, our Outreach Coordinator if you are interested in helping continue this countywide evangelistic effort or would just like to learn more.
Current Connect Groups
These groups have been started by leaders from our local churches and represent how we are all committed to connecting with marketplace outreach around Port Huron.
1. Peru Village Connect Group
Jeanne Sayzc - Port Huron Assembly of God
Tuesdays – 5:30 pm
2. BWROC Life Recovery Bible Study
Bruce Clark/Rick Collins/John Grenfell/Pat Patterson/Jeff Sabastian
Thursdays – 6:30 pm.
3. BWROC Life Recovery Bible Study
Rick and Diane Collins/Randy Bennett/Jeff Sabastian
Sundays - 6:30 pm
4. Men's Life Recovery Bible Study
Rick Collins - Griswald St. Baptist Church
5. East China Life Recovery Bible Study
Rick and Diane Collins/Kirk Slowinski - East China Fellowship Baptist Church
6. Life Recovery Bible Study
Chris Koch - Hillside Wesleyan Church
7. Sacred Heart Life Recovery Bible Study
Dennis Crimmins/Al Pionk
Tuesdays – 5:30 pm
8. Clearview Rehabilitation Center Life Recovery Bible Study
Wednesdays - 7:00 pm
9. Desmond Village Alpha Connect Group
Josh Jones/Moe Kish/Drew Hart
Thursdays - 4:30 pm
10. Palmer Park Bible Study in St. Clair
Donald Gildenpte - BlueWater Christian Church
11. Grandview Towers Connect Group
Jim Jabe/Dave Taube- East China Fellowship Baptist Church
12. Huron House Historical Bible Study
David Black/Gary Mose
Thursdays – 7:30 pm
13. Dorchester Apts. Connect Group
14. SONS Woodworking Connect Group
Bruce Clark - BlueWater Christian Church
15. "The Chosen" Series Connect Group
1st Presbyterian Church
Wednesday - 7:00 pm
16. Lake Huron Woods Senior Living Community Chapel Services
Pollina Ave. Holiness Church - Nathaniel Tucker
Once a month - Sunday night service
St. Clair County Jail Ministries:
17. Pod A Life Recovery Bible Study
Tuesday – 5:30 pm - Ron Courier/Randy Bennett
18. Pod A Bible Study
Friday - 1:30 - Ron Courier
19. Pod D Life Recovery Bible Study
Wednesday - Arthur Turner
20. Pod ? - Grief Recovery Group
21. Pod G Life Women's Recovery Bible Study
Monday - Debbie Rutallie
22. Pod G Women's Recovery Bible Study
Thursday - Kim Brown and Lay Team
23. Pod A - G Worship Service: Sat. once a quarter
24. Saturday Morning Catholic Lesson & Communion
(Men’s Pods A-D, one Sat. a month)
(Women’s Pod G, each Saturday)
We have many more potential locations, feel free to contact Randy Bennett for more information at 734.536.8864.